Tuesday, October 28, 2008

GOTTA LOVE THE BABIES...

As you all know my profession of choice is as a Daycare Provider. I just feel the need to share a story of a wonderful little girl who spends 5 days a week with me.

Setting the Scene:
Everyone who knows me knows that I am and have always been a candle freak. I love candles of all makes and scents. There are candles in every room of my house. I have a special candle holder in a special place where I go to light a candle and turn my troubles to God. When others need extra prayers, I light a candle for them and say a prayer. I have large candle holders that set in front of the plants so the children can't eat the houseplants. I never burn candles in these holders, but the candles are in them none the less.

Over all the years that children have been here, everyone of them have tried to get the candles and candle cups out of these holders. And every child has been told no-no and moved somewhere else and given something they CAN play with. After several times of diverting their attention I have not had any problems with them.

Now I have this beautiful 13 month old that knows what no-no means, understands it very well, and doesn't care! For the life of me I can not dissuade this child! For months I have been telling her no-no and moving her and even when she heads that way I remind her that those are no-no's and she can't have them.

She looks at me and takes a couple steps in that direction, lets me remind her gently, and takes more steps. She will stare me down while getting them! And then runs as fast as her little legs will take her, laughing all the while! I think she likes the chase and catch factor...

Today I have decided that the battle of the wills must be won (or lost)....

Today after the third diversion tactic, she got put in the pack n play for a time out....oh my word!
you would have thought the world came to an end! I rarely put children in a pack n play except at nap time, and she knew full well it was NOT nap time! After one minute I took her out, sat on the floor to play with her and she took off directly for the candle holders.......Soooo, she went back to the pack n play. So far she has had 3 time outs and I am still not winning this battle of the wills.

But we will keep trying and in the mean time she is the most adorable child, and she loves to snuggle with me in the mornings, and we will keep playing, learning and exploring together! And we will keep smiling when we look at each other!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

got to love those babies and the battles...kbeal

miwise said...

Hopefully that perseverance will do her good some day.

Major.Sunshine said...

if you win the battle you can come train the Ogre b/c she's defiant exactly like you described!!! Or maybe that is just a product of being spoiled :D