Monday, November 17, 2008

Complicating My Life

Others have referred to their mixed up families in blogs and I am always able to keep up with the "half' sibling lines and the "step" sibling lines..Why?.. Because I have my own mixed up family.....

I have an older sister who shares the same set of parents with me...she is exactly 14 months older than I am. When I was 3 months old my parents divorced. My father felt the need to pursue his music career, beer, women, beer, well you get the picture.

Setting, early 1960's and my mother was a single mom with 2 very young girls to take care of. She took a job in a bar while attending nursing school. Needless to say, she had no time for children. Thus, my father was forced to take 2 kids he did not have time for. So we lived with my paternal grandmother for a while...We lived with my father's girlfriends for a while, and there were several of them....

Fast forward 6 1/2 years....My mother remarried to a wonderful man, had a son, and wanted us back....Ok, so we then live with her for 9 years. And have a "half" brother.

Nine years later...big fight...mom throws us girls out, We move to Very Small Town Nebraska when I was 15. Culture shock for a teenager to move from Big City Kansas....
Dad was remarried by then, no more kids that we knew of...

Age 16, Dad takes off the California. I stay with Step mom. Age 17, Step mom gets back with dad, they move to Oklahoma.....without me! I stayed in Small Town and finished high school.

One year later I move to Oklahoma with them...find out I have a "half' sister that is 6 years younger than I am. Didn't meet her...but Dad and Step mom divorced over that one.

I take off and say to hell with everyone and end up back in Nebraska to start my own life....

Got married, had a daughter....Dad calls me, he is remarried and has a son with new wife....Now I have another "half" brother who is six months YOUNGER than my daughter...

2oo2, Dad dies, I meet my half sister and brother at his funeral. Stayed in contact with half brother, half sister seems to have fallen off the edge of the earth or doesn't want any contact.

2008, Half brother calls and wants to move to Nebraska to get a "fresh" start on life. Okay, no problem.....Then I find out he has never lived on his own, was a state ward, and takes meds as he has been diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic.

What the F*&k have I gotten myself into????? I can not say no to family, without trying first...and he IS family....



So for the next 3 weeks I will be rearranging my house to make the office back into a bedroom. Looking for a bed and dresser to get him started. Lining up Dr's, setting up his disability, and looking for a more permanent home for him. He is arriving with nothing more than a suitcase of clothes....This is going to be a serious task and I hope I have the strength to follow through with it...

I will be updating my progress and letting everyone know how it is going as I journey down this part of my life, and am thankful for the support I have from my family here and all my friends.

WISH ME LUCK !!!!!

No comments: